PLEASE NOTE: THIS CLOCK DOES NOT QUALIFY FOR FREE SHIPPING.
DELIVERY OR PICK UP ARRANGEMENTS WILL BE MADE UPON PURCHASE.
A Brief History of the Herschede Hall Clock Company
Frank Herschede was born on July 30, 1857 in Cincinnati, Ohio. At the age of 16, he started to work as an apprentice watch and clock repairman.
In 1877, he went into business for himself and moved to Vine and 5th Street. He branched out to jewelry, watches, diamonds, ect., and in 1885, the store moved to larger quarters at the corner of Arcade and Vine. In this same year, he started to import movements and have his cases made in a cabinet shop on Front Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. The clock business expanded to the point that Frank bought out the cabinet shop in 1900.
In 1901, he exhibited in the South Carolina and West Indian Exposition at Charleston, South Carolina, where he received a gold medal for his hall clocks. This was the first of several.
Frank's son, Walter, graduated from high school in 1902, and went into the cabinet shop to work. On December 29 of this same year, steps were taken to incorporate the Herschede Hall Clock Company.
The factory moved from Front Street to 1011-1015 Plum Street in 1903. Several medals were won by Herschede in the Louisiana Purchase Exposition in St. Louis in 1904; a gold medal for the best hall clock, a gold medal for the best hall clock cases, and a silver medal for tubular chimes.
In 1909, the company leased the building next door at 1007-1009 Plum Street to make clock movements. The first movement was assembled and passed final inspection on January 10, 1911. In 1913, the third melody was added to the Whittington and Westminster chimes. "Cantebury Chimes" was composed by Charles Eisen, "a gifted American pianist," especially for Herschede.
At the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, the quality of the line again resulted in two major awards: grand prize was presented to the Herschede Hall Clock Company for chime hall clocks and mantel clocks, and a gold medal was awarded for the hall clock cabinets manufactured by the company.
By the early 1920's branch sales offices were opened, first in New York City, then in Chicago and San Francisco. Frank Herschede died on September 15, 1922, and Walter was named president in January of 1923.
In 1925, Walter started to work with Mr. Warren with the electric movement chime clocks. By April of 1926, the Revere Clock Company came into being.
On February 4, 1934, Walter's son, Dick Herschede, started full time employment with his father. Many years later, in 1959, contact was made with the North Mississippi Industrial Development Association, and the plant moved to Starkville, Mississippi in May of 1960.
In 1973, Herschede merged with Howard Furniture and Briarwood Lamps into Arnold Industries, Inc.
On September 23, 1983, Herschede implemented a plan to restructure the Herschede Hall Clock division from a manufacturer of the finished clocks to a supplier of quality tubular bell movements to the industry.